Monday, May 26, 2008

My Manu Crush

It's true - I've got a Manu Crush.

Manu Ginobili that is. The San Antonio Spurs' sensation from Argentina used to drive me nuts with his flopping and whining, but I've come around on him over the last few weeks.

Why the change of heart? The Manu of Old annoyed my manly sensibilities with his flailing and faking every time he drew the slightest bit of contact. The New Manu charms me with his fearless drives into the lane and ability to finish among the trees.

The Manu of Old traveled every time he took it to the basket. The New Manu's European crossover is the most innovative finisher in the game (I would love to teach it to my players, but no middle/high school referee in America is going to believe it isn't a walk).

The Manu of Old was overly efficient and boring with the ball. The New Manu is dribbling between legs - other player's legs! - to get to the basket.

The Manu of Old struck me as a constant victim and complainer. The New Manu manned up after the Game 2 loss to shoulder the blame for the defeat (were you listening, Tracy McGrady?).

I have a love/hate relationship with most international players and their brand of basketball. There is a beauty to their game in that they are multi-dimensional, cerebral and ultra-competitive. This cannot be said about many, if not most, American players who specialize a skill (shooter, rebounder, defender) and compete during contract years only.

There is also an ugliness to their game. They tend to be the worst floppers and whiners in the league (Varajao, Ginobili, Nocioni). They make an effort to get under the skin of their defensive assignment in the hopes of drawing a retaliation - a prevalent strategy in soccer and hockey, but not American basketball.

The love/hate relationship I have with internationals is mirrored in my Manu feelings. Last night, I was won over with affection. Manu was the Man against L.A. with outside shooting and fearless drives to the bucket. A flop here and there is no worse than a prima donna American player's tendency to occasionally mail one in. I'm learning to forgive and forget the foreigners' flaws.

We live in a global society. The World Is Flat, you know? I'm expanding my mind like John Davis as I find the goodness in the NBA's international superstars.

Quite the Memorial Day lesson, huh?

No comments: