Monday, March 31, 2008

An Open Letter to Bruce Pearl

Dear Coach Pearl,

I'm writing you this letter as a University of Tennessee alum, a lifelong Volunteer and on behalf of the entire Scenic City Sportsblog community. That is right - all six of us.

First, I want to congratulate you on the terrific season. It was, without a doubt, the greatest season in Tennessee basketball history. It started with the much needed renovation of Thompson-Boling Arena. It climaxed with a win at Memphis and subsequent #1 ranking in the country. It ended in disappointment, but we won't dwell on that. I imagine you are hurting worse about it than me.

Now, the question is whether you are leaving Knoxville for greener pastures. Indiana might come calling. California could do the same. I imagine Providence might even give your phone a ring.

If I were you, I might be tempted, except about the Providence thing. Actually, Cal too. We're just talking about Indiana, aren't we?

Tennessee is not exactly a basketball powerhouse. In the past, it has ranked somewhere between spring football practice and women's softball as far as fan priorities. Indiana is all about basketball, all the time.

You are also losing the nucleus of the program this year as Chris Lofton, JuJuan Smith and maybe even Tyler Smith leave campus. There is talk that the assistant coaches are gone too. Perhaps the timing is right to leave.

Coach, I hope you decide not to do it. I'm writing this letter asking you not to do it. If I were a bigger man, I might even threaten you not to do it, but I have seen you shirtless and am convinced my threat would not scare you into staying. Whatever it takes, don't leave us.

Tennessee offers you more than any other program in the country. What haven't the university and fans done for you so far? New practice facility? - done. Upgrades to the arena? - done. Fill the seats? - done. Just as you have been good to Tennessee, it has been good to you.

It also offers you the chance to be the John Wooden, Bobby Knight, Dean Smith or Mike Kry...Coach K of the university. Why go to IU where you will always live in The General's shadow? At Tennessee, the shadow is yours for the making. In 30 years from now, do you think Vol fans will be comparing our coach to Buzz Peterson? No - it will you, Coach Pearl. You will be the face of Tennessee Basketball.

I know what you are thinking - what about Coach Summitt? Look, we all love her and what she has done for the university and women's program. But it is not the same. You know it and I know it. We need a face, an icon for our men's team. It is yours for the taking.

I am sure another university can pay you more than Tennessee. As a school teacher, I lack the financial resources to make the job any more lucrative. If I could, I would. I think. After I upgraded to an HDTV and put some money aside for my daughters' college and weddings. Then I would pad your pocket. For sure.

Here is the point: you are filthy rich already. You pay no income taxes here. You have a career in television whenever you want it. Books too. You have money and there is more on the way if you want it. The money in Bloomington won't make you happy. Plenty of good coaches have chased the end of the rainbow to find out the view from afar was much prettier.

And do you really want to live in Bloomington? I have never been there, granted, but last I checked there is no Sunsphere in Bloomington. No Calhoun's. No West Town Mall. No Dollywood.

No, you really ought to just stay in Knoxville and keep coaching the Vols. Why mess with success?

(That was not a jab about your point guard decision, by the way).

Why live in another's shadow? Why not just stay in Knoxville and build your very own juggernaut? Think of the peace of mind you would have if you said to yourself, "I am never leaving Knoxville for another coaching job."

Wow. Do you feel it? Do you feel the calm coming over you? Feels good, doesn't it?

I'm glad we've settled it then. We are so happy to have you here. You bring wins, fun, attention, even Jewish diversity to a basketball program that had none just a few years ago. We don't want to lose you to the Hoosiers or anyone else.

Sincerely,
Chris Carpenter

1 comment:

Josh Caldwell said...

Well, Pearl ain't going nowhere baby...at least not next year!
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/apr/01/pearl-expected-announce-he-staying-today/