Sunday, August 31, 2008

Glass Half Full - Five Reasons to Feel Good About the UCLA Game

1) Eric Berry - It is nice to have the best player on the field and his name is Eric Berry. I'm going to be disappointed with anything less than 10 picks and 3 touchdowns out of the sophomore. The Vols secondary ought to be good enough to allow John Chavis to blitz all year and leave his backfield in man coverage.

2) Arian Foster - Foster tested the professional waters after last season, but decided that the Tennessee River was just fine for another year. The word out of Knoxville is that he is working hard and being a leader in the locker room. He'll probably become the all-time rushing leader at Tennessee, which is odd to me since I wouldn't list him in my top 10 of all-time Vols backs (off the top of my head - Travis Henry, Jamal Lewis, Travis Stephens, Chuck Webb, Reggie Cobb, Jay Graham, Charlie Garner...okay, he is Top 10).

Foster is going to have a huge game running behind the Vols offensive line, which brings us to #3

3) UCLA's Offensive Line - UCLA has never been a physical football team in the past, but they are inexperienced and really inexperienced. Chavis will send his boys from all angles and repeatedly hit...

4) UCLA QB Kevin Craft - the community college transfer does not scare me. Ben Olson, yes. Kevin Craft? The guy threw three interceptions in a UCLA scrimmage game. What is going to do in the Rose Bowl with blitzing Vols and a defensive backfield of Eric Berry, Demetrice Morley and Dennis Rogan?


5) Phil Fulmer - call me crazy, but I think Phil still senses the Vols vultures hovering above him even after last season. The Vols have the potential to be a really, really good team this year and Fulmer knows it. To win the SEC East this year over Georgia and Florida would be feather in his cap and to win the entire SEC and go BCS bowling again would silence his critics for some time. With the addition of Dave Clawson, I think Fulmer is going to be energized and eager to put the Vols back into the national spotlight once again. It starts Monday night.

3 comments:

Maximum Jack said...

I know he was a full back, but Shawn Bryson would make my list of top 10 all-time Vol backs.

Chris Carpenter said...

Bryson and Mose Phillips both could get a sniff of my list from the fullback position.

cappadocia said...

It seems like quite a few of the pre-season articles that I have been devouring the past month or so mention Fulmer as a couch who still has to work for his job. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but maybe you're right, and that will add a little fuel to his fire. Can't wait for tonight.