Thursday, August 21, 2008

Gearing Up - SEC Talk

Slowly, but surely, I'm gearing up for the football season. My loyal readers know how obnoxious I find the current "all football, all the time" lunacy, but I do love me some pigskin and am starting to gear up for the season.

I thought I'd get some football conversation going with an SEC preview that requires very little actual research from yours truly. Like I said, I'm not quite all the way in just yet, but getting there.

SEC Champion - Tennessee.

What?!? That's right - I'm picking the Vols to win the league this year. No, it is not because I'm a lifelong fan. No, it is not because I'm a graduate. No, it is not because I currently live in the Volunteer State. This is an unbiased, objective prediction.

Okay, not really. The Vols, however, are in prime sleeper position. All the talk is Georgia and Florida right now. You don't think that burns in the belly of the defending SEC East Champions? The Vols stomped Georgia last year in a non-competitive game. Tennessee hosts both Florida and Alabama this year, so revenge looks plausible against both. The Auburn game is a tricky one as Tuberville is usually tough in the big game, but if Tennessee beats both Florida and Georgia, it can lose the Auburn game and still be fine.

Fulmer is a better coach in the underdog role than the favorite. Much will depend on the transition to Dave Clawson's offense, but I'm expecting a better defense despite the loss of Jarod Mayo. The secondary is loaded, the linebackers look good and the D-Line could be much better if Bolden and Ayers step up as seniors.

Long story short - I'm feeling good about the Vols.

Last in the SEC - South Carolina.

I think this is it for Spurrier and the Gamecocks. Spurrier hasn't gotten anything going there as recruiting to USC is nearly impossible in this area of the country. The Fun and Gun has been pretty joyless since Spurrier left Gainesville, so I wonder if the passion is gone. Regardless, I think Spurrier is gone after this year.

Bold Prediction - Vanderbilt goes to a bowl.

They are due, right?

Fired/Quit - Steve Spurrier & Sylvester Croom.

Spurrier I covered, but I see Mississippi State having another mediocre year and the Starkville faithful finally saying enough is enough about Croom's tenure. You can win at Mississippi State which Croom has not done very often. He's gone.

Best Helmet - Arkansas

There is no reason for this category, but I like it. And I like Arkansas's helmet. The razorback on it is clearly too small, but that is its charm. The details in the animal set it apart.

Worst Helmets - Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State and South Carolina

Pick one, you say. Here is the connection - they all once had better looking versions. Kentucky's K looked much stronger than the current UK design. Vanderbilt's black look was cool and accurately described the state of the program. Mississippi State and South Carolina have similar looking helmets which are both inferior to their previous red varieties.

Change is not always progress.

Best uniforms - Ole Miss

When the Rebels are wearing their blue tops and silver pants, it is a sharp look. If only their offense looked so smooth.

Worst Uniforms - LSU

If Tennessee consistently wore the orange on orange combo, it would be the Vols. LSU's problem is that despite a decent color combo, their uniforms always look like a mess. The helmet is too busy and the white tops on yellow pants is too plain. And I hate Les Miles, so there.

Player of the Year - Percy Harvin

Now that the world is dedicated to stopping Tim Tebow, get ready for Percy Harvin (if he stays healthy) to run wild.

Most Over-rated Player - Matthew Stafford

He might have an NFL arm, but he makes junior high decisions with the ball. I don't trust him and haven't been impressed by him. Word is that he is gone after this year. My guess is that he costs the Dawgs a couple of games and decides to leave before his stock drops even more.

Most Dumbest Player - Ryan Perrilloux

From a National Championship to Jacksonville State. Nice going, idiot.

Most Interesting Game - Florida vs. Georgia

The end zone dance ought to have the Gators motivated and added some bad blood to a fairly stale rivalry. This could be for the SEC East and the National Championship. A close second is Ole Miss vs. Arkansas as Houston Nutt tries to best his old team.

Least Interesting Game - Ole Miss vs. Samford

There are some embarrassing games on various team's schedules, but the Rebels vs. Bulldogs ought to be a real stinker. Auburn vs. Tennessee-Martin, Florida vs. The Citadel, Kentucky vs. Norfolk State and Georgia vs. Georgia Southern are all embarrassing match-ups for SEC schools.

Upset Pick - Kentucky over Georgia

The Kats catch Georgia in a brutal stretch of road games (at LSU, at Florida, at Kentucky, at Auburn), so I smell a trap.

Over/Under on SEC football posts over the next four months - 100

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm biased here, but I gotta say that when the War Eagle dress out in the navy jerseys, it's a good lookin' suit. I'm a big fan of navy...I'm currently pushing the McCallie rowers to adopt the navy suit again and get rid of this royal blue crap.

Maximum Jack said...

I love the Vols when they're all in white. I don't think anyone looks sharper. Don't care for the all orange look though.

That's 2.

G!Lenn said...

I really liked the retro uniforms Tennessee wore against UNLV in the 2004 season opener. They were white with orange around the shoulders. I would like to see them more often.

Chris Carpenter said...

I think you were the only one who liked those. They were more futuristic than retro. And they sucked.

Funny how the uniform aspect of this post is garnering the most attention.

cappadocia said...

All white is the best.

Unknown said...

Yeah, the vols look better in all white...