Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Yay or Boo?

The Georgia Bulldogs play a deciding Game 3 of the College World Series tonight against Fresno State. The contest brings up an interesting question:

As a Tennessee Vol, do I pull for or against the Dawgs?

On one hand, Georgia is an SEC school from the South whose championship brings extra bragging rights to the conference and area. Chances are I know something about the players on the team, be it their hometowns or high schools. I know UGA fans who would delight in the championship, so it makes sense to pull for happiness for my friends.

On the other hand, pulling for Georgia or any SEC rival goes against my Big Orange instincts. How can I pull against a team for 364 days of the year, then suddenly change my tune for one night? Being faithful to my wife for 364 days of the year does not do. It is a sin called adultery.

Not only am I committing an unnatural sin, I'm also subjecting myself to neighborly boasting. After the whipping the football and basketball Vols put on Georgia this year, the Dawgs are looking for a retort. An NCAA championship would be a nice comeback.

Another consideration is that this is baseball. Who cares about college baseball? I cannot name a single Tennessee Vol baseball player. I cannot name a single college baseball player. If Georgia wins the college baseball championship and no one cares, did they really win anything?

Hmm...

I'm going to watch the game tonight, but still haven't decided what I want to happen.

I do know this - I will be pulling for the Bulldogs.

2 comments:

latimer-tnaz said...

are you kidding me with this? i always knew you people in chattanooga were georgians at heart. fresno st by a touchdown.

Chris Carpenter said...

Once the game started, I found myself pulling for Georgia. Part of it is that I tend to pull against underdogs - it doesn't seem like Fresno has earned a championship.

I'm about to shoot myself in the head listening to Ron Franklin call this game like it is a little league contest.

"A fly out to right - he didn't hit it out, but he sure hit it a long way. And the outfielder made a brilliant catch. Sometimes, I drop those really high ones."

They aren't retarded, Ron. I'm already watching the game - I don't need convincing they are good or that it is exciting.