Friday, June 13, 2008

Chipper Reading Material

When I fall behind with my writing, I turn to others to shoulder the load. I read a couple of good pieces about Chipper's quest for .400 I wanted to pass along.

This blog piece from the Wall Street Journal argues against Chipper's chances of hitting .400. If you are a stat-crunching geek, you'll enjoy the conversation here. There is one ridiculous quotation about how Chipper's last two improved seasons have been "luck" is quickly questioned and debunked. Two seasons of luck? Come on.

(Max Jack - Chipper has hit .331 over the last two seasons, much without Teixeira hitting behind him. I'm just saying...).

Next, from the fantastically named "One More Dying Quail" blog, here is a long, detailed entry about hitting .400. I'm only on Chapter 5 of it, but so far, so good. This piece is a reminder of just how tough hitting .400 is (nobody in 60+ years) and also a reminder that there are so many blogs out there better than mine.

1 comment:

Chris Carpenter said...

Are you kidding me? Chipper gets hurt in batting practice by a foul ball of his own bat? What next?