Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Braves Mailbag!

After the Braves blew a two run lead in the 9th inning Wednesday afternoon, I decided to open up the 'ole Braves mailbag to ease the pain.

(The letters are fake; the answer are real).

Hear the news today? I'm out for the year - more time to spend with Hampton - John S.

First, how did you get this letter to me so quickly? Second, please refrain from mentioning Mike Hampton because it makes me think we'll never see you on the mound again. In fact, I'm predicting this is it for you, Smoltzy. Are you really willing to go through surgery and recovery to come back to a team without Glavine (retired) or Tex (signed with Yankees)? The Braves are barely a playoff team now and it is hard to picture the team being better next year. Then again, if the youth continues to grow up and improve, the Tex money is well spent, Jordan Schafer is the real deal, Jo-Jo, Jair and Jorge (Killer J's?) mature into solid starters...it might be worth one more run at the Series. The closer role looks like it will still be up for grabs...

I'm starting to convince myself into believing you. Come back, John!

Miss me? - Matt D.

I wish I did. I wanted you to have a great year in left, but the evidence suggests you are not a full-time big league outfielder. You play hard. You run hard. You try hard. The results, however, scream platoon player/pinch hitter.

Why am I not batting lead-off? - Gregor

Because Joe Simpson keeps calling for it. You think Bobby Cox is going to listen to some crappy catcher-turned-analyst?

Actually, I'm not totally sold on you batting lead-off either. The positives are your speed, patience and pretty good OBP (.388 right now). The negatives are your youth and lack of pop (.352 slugging). Keep getting on base and making things happen with your legs and we'll see you up in the order soon enough.

What about me as lead-off? - Josh A.

I wish you showed the slightest bit of pop to justify it. You clearly have the speed to be a terror on the bases, but I have not seen a decent swing out of you yet. Back to Richmond soon, Josh.

What about me? - Yunel

We have a theme working here, don't we? Yunel - TAKE A PITCH! You swing at the first pitch every single at-bat. First, that is a lousy strategy because you are being fed first pitches out of the zone that you cannot handle. Second, lead-off hitters are supposed to work the count every once in a while. A base on balls is a good thing for a lead-off guy. Finally, you are hitting just .245 on the road this year, so something isn't working. Like Axl said - "Just a little patience...yeah, yeah."

Me? - Kelly

Are you serious? All these letters about the lead-off spot? You'd think the offense was sputtering...oh, yeah. It is.

You had your chance. You didn't get on base. Next.

Gregor - I'm starting to really warm up to the idea of giving you a look at lead-off. It isn't a pretty picture at the top of the order right now, is it?

Impressed? - Jo-Jo

You better believe it! You look like a legit major league lefty these days. And, on top of that, you are my daughter Abby's favorite player. She says, "Jo-Jo" all the time. Actually, it is more like JoJoJoJoJoJo. It might actually be a Buddhist chant that I don't know about. I'm not really sure.

Back to you, Jo-Jo, I'm very impressed. With Smoltz out for the year, you have a chance to step up as an every 5th day guy on a playoff contender. I was ready to send you to single A after last year, but there is something different about you so far this season. Keep it up.

Isn't it time I got some love for my work this year - Roger M.

Roger McDowell - you have done wonders this year. The pitching has been such a pleasant surprise - both starting and relieving. With all the injuries, the staff could have crumbled. Instead, the Braves are getting good pitching every night.

Kudos, Roger - The Second Spitter.

Why am I not getting more blame for the offensive woes? - Terry P.

Because we still and always will love you, Mr. Pendleton. You took us to the promised land in 1991 and we have not forgotten. For that, you are getting a pass.

Otherwise, I would point out that our hitters look lost on the road without any patience or game plan at the plate. It might not be fair to blame you, so I won't. I'll just use innuendo instead.

I feel a little better now. Time to close up the 'ole Braves mailbag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you still use free service like blogspot.com or wordpress.com but
they have less control and less features.
shift to next generation blog service which provide free websites for
your blog at free of cost.
get fully controllable (yourname.com)and more features like
forums,wiki,CMS and email services for your blog and many more free
services.
hundreds reported 300% increase in the blog traffic and revenue
join next generation blogging services at www.hyperwebenable.com
regards
www.hyperwebenable.com