Saturday, September 20, 2008

Whatever Happened to the Tennessee Vols?

Where to start?

In a game I, and most Vol fans, did not expect to be competitive, the Florida Gators were up 17-0 in minutes and never threatened by the terrible Tennessee Vols. My expectations were low and they were met.

I can't remember a worse quarterback in my Tennessee watching life than Jonathan Crompton. He is just awful. If there was any lingering doubt in my mind about his ability to be an SEC-caliber QB, it was erased on two plays today. The first was when the "athletic" Crompton scrambled forward to be lit up by a measly cornerback. Crompton was supposed to be a mobile quarterback, but his scrambles are less effective than Peyton's. The other play was Crompton throwing behind an open receiver as both Vols scrambled in the same direction. To miss a guy by that much at this level?

Those plays closed the verdict for me on Crompton (though for more evidence I could cite A: throwing a line drive to an wide receiver streaking past the Gator secondary that was picked off B: throwing a line drive that was batted down to a wide open tight end on a two-point conversion C: fumbling the ball on a routine hand-off D: throwing an interception on the one-yard line E: the entire UCLA game F: pretty much the entire UAB game).

Let's keep passing out blame for this afternoon's debacle:

The punting game has given up two touchdowns in three games.

Kickoff coverage gave up a short field to start the game.

The defense was decent, though Florida got chunks of yards at a time.

Demetrice Morley was a good five yards off Percy Harvin on the touchdown pass.

Montario Hardesty joined Fumbling Foster when he coughed up the ball in Gator territory (yes, he got killed on that hit, but he can't fumble there).

Arian Foster, our senior "leader", picks a fight on 3rd and 1 to create 3rd and 16.

Austin Rogers? Josh Briscoe? Lucas Taylor?

And finally, the coaching staff. I don't know what got Dave Clawson the OC job in Knoxville, but I haven't seen anything interesting out of his play-calling or philosophy. The only thing I see is a focus on getting the ball to the tight ends. I'm willing to give Clawson a pass because of how awful Crompton is, but it is a temporary pass.

Fulmer gets no pass. I love the guy and always will. He brought the Glory Days to Knoxville and truly loves the school. But these are all his guys. All his coaches. These guys look awful. Florida hardly seemed tested today. I'm watching Auburn/LSU right now and the skills, intensity and overall effort in this game are all greater than what the Vols gave today.

A few years ago, I was convinced that Randy Sanders was the problem. He was. David Cutcliffe was the solution. Now? I don't know. B.J. Coleman? Nick Stephens? Gerald Jones? Is it time to let loose with the play-calling on both sides of the ball since playing close the vest isn't going to get it done with the heartless, speedless, seemingly talentless group of duds on the field right now?

Basketball practice started today and I'm ready to think about Bruce Pearl instead of Phil Fulmer. This football season looks lost and beyond saving.

1 comment:

Maximum Jack said...

The sad thing is, I don't think Florida looked that good. They've got a somewhat easy schedule left, but I don't think they're going to beat LSU or UGA.