Monday, July 7, 2008

A Life Without Sports - My Life on Vacation

I've been in California for over a week now, visiting with family and now attending a conference about journalism in high schools. I have had little/no time to watch or read about the sports world to which this blog is dedicated.

Here is what I've missed:

* Perhaps the greatest tennis match ever (or so I'm told and have read) between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal

* The demotion and, as of today recall, of Braves' outfielder Jeff Francoeur. (Um, he sounds a little bitter...)

* Another Phillies sweep of the Braves

* Spain won some soccer tournament that had my attention BV (before vacation)

* Some 41-year old American mother breaking world records in the swimming pool

* NBA free agency opening up with Baron Davis leaving the Warriors

* The Brewers picking up C.C. Sabathia to become immediate contenders in the National League

* All-Star game rosters - snubs and surprises (Jason Varitek???)

And those are just the major stories. The sports world keeps revolving despite my inattention.

So what is life like without sports? I'm currently a cross between a heroine addict and a Buddhist. The addict in me is itching all over because I haven't gotten my fix. I need a score. Actually, I need scores. I need stats. I need acquisitions, transactions, injuries, controversies, firings. I need sports radio hosts screaming at me. I need to refresh ESPN.com every 10 minutes so I'll be the first to know something new. I need to also check out SI.com to see if ESPN missed something. I like Bubbles from The Wire after a day of sobriety - get me something involving a ball quickly!

But I'm also a Buddhist approaching enlightenment. You know, life isn't so bad without sports. I'm actually conversing with people instead of just listening to them and blogging about them. I'm actually playing sports (three rounds of golf, a few jogs and even a soccer game against my niece) instead of watching them. Instead of investing three hours in a meaningless, boring regular season contest, I get the quick 2-minute version on-line and spend time playing with Abby and Caroline. Perhaps the Fifth Noble Truth was that sports are neither necessary nor productive.

Wait, what am I talking about? I'm dying here. Who wants to converse with people? How long can I talk to people without talking about sports? Do I want to become one of those people who asks questions like, "Is Tony Gwynn still playing?" or "When did Shaq stop playing for the Lakers?"

No, I need sports. My wife and I went to Hawaii for our honeymoon a few years ago and I quickly decided I wanted to live there. After a week, I realized I was wrong. The rainbows lost their luster. The mangos and coconut on everything got old. The cost of everything was cold water on my face. It was a fun vacation destination, but not a permanent home.

Same for this vacation from sports. I'm counting down the days until I can get back to ignoring my wife and kids and spending my time with Mike & Mike, Chipper Jones and Peter Gammons. I'm counting the days until I get my score(s).

No comments: