Thursday, February 7, 2008

Suns Get Shaq and Adande Steals My Article

I had a terrific article working in my mind last night about how the Shaq-to-Suns trade was like my favorite band signing with a major label (Steve Kerr was the A&R guy calling for a catchy single), but decided to get some sleep instead.

I wake up this morning to find J.A. Adande beat me to the punch, sans the band angle, with this terrific article:

Slow Burn For Suns

I was not sad to see Shawn Marion go, but am devastated at the loss of the Fun & Run Suns. I don't want to watch Shaq wrestle for position on the block while everyone stands around to make space. I don't want to see Nash pull it out because nobody is running with him. I don't want to ever see the Suns violate the shot clock..

Last year during the playoffs, I had just high hopes for the NBA. With the Suns and Golden State Warriors scoring lots of points with a fun style of basketball, I thought the entire league might see the wisdom of playing this type of loose, aggressive offense.

Instead, I got a Spurs/Cavs final and now I've got Shaq clogging up the post.

Thanks, Steve Kerr. Thanks for ruining the fun.

4 comments:

cappadocia said...

Politics and the Shag trade, but you can't mention the Superbowl? This is one of the greatest football games in recent memory for us up in NYC...show some love, bro, show some love.

Chris Carpenter said...

I actually started to write something on the game, but everything I had was said by somebody else. I try not to be a part of the sport talk echo machine.

But since you asked, it was a great game that lived up to the Super Bowl hype. I got chills every time they showed Peyton pumping his fist for his brother. Something about that really got to me. I thought Belichick cemented his douche bagness by walking off the field while people kept telling him the game was not over, though I also don't understand why the NFL won't let the referee call it at that point.

There you go...not much interesting, huh?

latimer-tnaz said...

douche bagness? i like it. everyone in the desert is sick over this trade. apparently dallas was looking to pick him up and we were afraid of a dirk, howard, shaq trio. although, i'm not sure what they would have given up. why don't have garnett again?

Chris Carpenter said...

I don't buy the Dallas rumor - what could they have offered if not Dirk or Howard?

The Garnett question is a great one. He would have fit perfectly and you know McHale would have taken Marion and Banks over Jefferson and the garbage he got from the Celtics.