Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Jerod Mayo Gone

Reports speculate that Jerod Mayo will announce his intention to turn pro early today. The junior was named 2nd team All-American this year.

Damn. I wasn't initially sold on Mayo as a professional prospect, but he played great over the last few weeks of the season.

Apparently Arian Foster is also still deciding about his future. I have a hard time believing he will skip his senior season as well unless I am totally wrong about his professional possibilities.

2 comments:

Maximum Jack said...

Apparently Foster got a "solid second round" grade from the advisory committe. However, he sounds like he wants to come back and play for a championship.

I like Fulmer's choice in hiring Stan Drayton from Florida as our new running backs coach. He's a pretty good recruiter and it's always a plus if you have somenone on the staff who has experience recruiting in that goldmine of a state.

What do you think about the possibility of Mike DeBord (Michigagn) as a possible offensive coordinator? It sounds like one of those 'package' deals as Ryan Mallet (QB) would probably follow him to UT if he took the job.

Chris Carpenter said...

I heard the same info on Foster and my first thought was, "he is gone." 2nd round? Really? That surprises me - I figured 4th or 5th.

It does sound like Drayton is a good recruiter. I also heard something from Mike Hamilton about this year's class - apparently the coaches are really concentrating on linemen over skill positions, so that is one reason the Vols are not getting much love from the Rivals/Scouts Inc. groups. I hope that is right.

Boy, I want Mallett. It doesn't look like it will be DeBord, but I do want Mallett.